This month I’d like to step back from the deep technical stuff and ask “why are DBA skills necessary?”
I don’t want to color people’s opinions by giving my own yet, but some things to consider are:
- What problems have you seen in your career that could have been avoided with some DBA skills?
- At what point does a SQL Server installation need a real DBA to look after it?
- How could DBA input help prevent design problems in data applications?
- Should there be cross-over been developer skills and DBA skills? What about architects? Storage admins?
- How can business continuity be affected by lack of DBA skills?
- How much can we rely on auto-tuning to ensure performant work loads?
- Is Microsoft doing enough to foster DBA skills as a point of excellence?
- What about on other RDBMS platforms? What about no-SQL?
I could go on for hours… I’m really looking forward to seeing where you take this topic and I’m expecting some great posts.