Hold on! I already hear some of you shouting, “Boooooring!!!” You don’t have to write a file and filegroup primer, if you don’t want to. Get creative, get tangential! Some of my suggestions:
- Maybe you’d like to talk about partitioning indexes or tables across filegroups
- Or performance benefits (still!) of assigning tables to specific drives, via filegroups
- Or FILESTREAM, specifically (hey, that’s something that requires a specialized filegroup!)
- Or some horrible misuse of filegroups you’ve seen once (we always love a SQL horror story)
- Or, if you have a mind, a file and filegroup backup/restore primer! (Why not? I’m not the only one who loves basics.)
So talk to us, tell us all of your file and filegroup lore!